IV Workshop Astronomía en los Andes : “Engaged communities in development through Astrotourism”
This is an interdisciplinary meeting with participation from astronomers, tourism operators and educators. The fourth version of the Workshop “Astronomía en los Andes”, provides an opportunity to develop collaborative strategies involving basic sciences as a driver for sustainable development, sharing experiences, discuss recent applications, and participate in initiatives to promote regional collaborations to capitalize the economical and developmental contribution to Astrotourism in the Andean Region.
The main goal of this IV Workshop is to promote high-quality, responsible and innovative tourism of stars in the Andean Region, especially in rural areas in which it could become a real driving force for local economies. Many entrepreneurships in small villages and big cities are using astronomical facilities such as small telescopes, inspirational talks and mobile planetariums as a pivot for sustainability. This workshop will provide a platform for dialogues between participants, entrepreneurs of different communities and experts in Astrotourism with the aim to address best practices promoving collaborative work with local communities.
The event is supported by the Office of Astronomy for Development (OAD) of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) which has the mission of promoting the use of astronomy, including its skills and infrastructures, as a tool for development through the mobilization of the human and financial resources necessary to achieve scientific, technological and cultural benefits for society.
The IV Workshop will be held in Quito, the heart of the Andes, surrounded by fabulous landscapes and excellent climate in the middle of the world.
Centro Cultural “Pedro Vicente Maldonado” – Planetario Instituto Geográfico Militar, Quito, Ecuador
- Project for the integration of astronomical knowledge in centers tourist
- Intercultural dialogue projects with indigenous communities, cultural astronomy
Scientific Organizing Committee
- Beatriz García (ITeDA, Argentina)
- Giovanni Pinzón (Universidad Nacional de Colombia)
- Florencio Delgado (Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador)
- Antonia Varela (Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias, Spain)
- Nicolás Vásquez (Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Ecuador)
- Àurea Rodrigues (CIDEHUS, Universidade de Évora, Portugal)
- Maria Isela Zevallos (Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería, Peru)
- Apolónia Rodrigues (Associação Dark Sky, Portugal)
Local Organizing Committe
- Nicolás Vásquez Escuela Politécnica Nacional, Quito
- Aracely Núñez, Universidad de Chile
- Ericsson López, Observatorio Astronómico de Quito
- Andrés Baquero, Universidad del Azuay, Cuenca
- David Andrade, Universidad Yachay Tech, Urcuquí
- Raúl Puebla, Universidad Central del Ecuador, Quito
Deadline August 31 2023
Ask questions via e-mail